Translate

09 February 2017

I'm Not Wrong



The idea I'm going to attempt to convey in this post is something that I've been mulling over for a while now. It's difficult to say it clearly and concisely, and without it sounding arrogant, but the short version is this: given all of the evidence around me, given my knowledge of history, given my knowledge of government, given my knowledge of the U.S. Constitution, given my education, given my upbringing based on respect, morality, justice, inclusiveness, equity, and multiculturalism, given my travel experiences, given my respect for science and reason, and given the types of people that support the ideas that clash against mine, I'm not wrong.

I know this already sounds pretentious, cocky, and anger-inducing, but keep reading. Here's the thing: generally we think of the people with the opposite worldview as the brainwashed ones, the ignorant ones, the backwards ones, and the close-minded ones. Right? What's amazing about this, and what gives me pause sometimes, is that those people think the exact same things about us. So, the uneducated Fox-News viewer that has hardly left home, never really travels, never hangs out with different types of people, never reads anything besides whacked-out conservative websites, this person thinks I'm the ignorant one. This is how I know I'm not on the wrong side of all this.

It goes without saying that I haven't always been right about every single thing, but I also don't typically make decisions without first researching and understanding the topic. So, most of the things I've been wrong about have had to do with everyday decisions, purchases, which girl to date, etc. That's part of life, right? I've never decided that climate change must not be real because the politicians I vote for say it's not real; I don't make those kinds of heavy decisions in the moment or based only on what I'm hearing. Also, if I'm not sure about something, or know that I haven't learned enough about it, I keep my damn trap shut. Furthermore, I'm not trying to suggest that my opinion on every policy would be "correct." For example, I don't really know what's the best thing for the U.S. to do with or for Israel, specifically with regard to the Palestinian conflict. It's complicated and I just don't know what's best. While some things are simply matters of opinion (i.e., how large the military should be), others are, I think, issues of morality that are difficult to assess or label as "right" or "wrong" because one morality is not universal.

Hopefully that's making sense so far. I don't think I'm always right about everything or know everything, but I know I'm not wrong on a handful of issues, topics, and beliefs. I'm not saying my way is always the best way, or the most virtuous or righteous way, either. Finally, I'm not saying, "Hey, you should think like me!"

Now, because I've been told so many times that I'm brainwashed and that I need to hear the truth, let's take a deeper look at the types of people who tell me such things. Here's what I'd like to do: examine, analyze, and compare the types of people who generally agree with me, and those who do not.

First, let's start with those who generally do not agree with me—and trust me, I know these people. These are my family members and friends. I see some of these people regularly. I hear the hate speech, the misinformation, the racist comments, the parroting of Fox, the outlandish conspiracy theories ("globalists!"), and the blatant lies come out of their mouths on a regular basis. Okay? I'm not isolated. I keep my ideological enemies close. These people, in general:
  • are poorly educated or uneducated
  • did not go to college
  • do not read books
  • suck at spelling and grammar
  • have blue-collar jobs
  • are more likely to have been to jail or prison
  • have been or are in poor health
  • have little to no travel experience
  • do not have diverse friends
  • do not leave their hometowns often
  • are more religious
  • talk more than they listen
  • lack professional skills
  • lack artistic abilities
  • do not attend cultural performances (such as symphonies, operas, theatre, etc.)
  • have limited professional connections
  • listen to conservative radio
  • watch Fox News
  • repeat what their friends and like-minded family members say without doing research
  • believe that they know more than others and are somehow qualified to inform others
  • are thin-skinned/incredibly insecure
  • feel the need to belittle and insult others
  • threaten others
  • live in constant fear
  • are more likely to own guns
  • vote Republican

Second, let's examine those who typically share my views. These are my good friends, my educated family members, my mentors, intellectuals, scientists, doctors, educators, professors, lawyers, artists, and other professionals I know and respect. These people, in general:
  • are educated, and oftentimes highly educated
  • are always reading books on a variety of subjects
  • have proficient spelling and grammar skills
  • have white-color jobs that require high levels of skill
  • have never been to jail or prison
  • are largely healthy and health-conscious 
  • have moderate to extensive travel experiences
  • have diverse friend groups
  • regularly visit other parts of the state or country
  • are less religious or not religious
  • listen more than they talk
  • possess many professional skills
  • possess various artistic abilities and have spent time studying the arts
  • regularly attend cultural performances
  • have strong professional networks
  • listen to National Public Radio (NPR) and other accredited news sources
  • watch and read news from various, credible news agencies, not including Fox News
  • research on their own before reaching conclusions
  • are secure with themselves
  • have no reason to belittle others
  • do not threaten others
  • choose not to live in fear
  • are less likely to own guns
  • vote Democratic

Before you freak out, remember that I wrote "in general" above both of those lists. And so, what do I do with this information? Whose opinions should I value more? I do believe that differing opinions are necessary in a free and democratic society, but today we're getting further away from mere differences and going towards truth versus propaganda and falsehoods. Recently the term "alternative facts" was presented by an adviser of Donald Trump. This is in every way unacceptable, and I will not tolerate it.

It's clear that the people who are more likely to agree with me are much more qualified and informed individuals. At this point, it's very difficult for me to respect the opinions of people from the other group. I will listen to them, and I respect their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but I do not hold their opinions in high regard. They've shown me time and time again that I shouldn't. I do respect the opinions of educated conservatives, but alas I know very few of them.

When a candidate for the president of the United States claims that Mexicans are rapists and murderers and that Muslims are terrorists, I know I'm not wrong when I stand against those comments.

When that same candidate mocks a disabled reporter, I'm not wrong when I feel disgust.

When people try to say that climate change is a hoax despite overwhelming scientific proof, I know I'm not wrong when I believe in climate change.

When a person cares more about an unborn fetus than a disadvantaged baby born to a disadvantaged mother, I know I'm not wrong when I believe the mother and baby deserve help.

When I see one political party consistently vote against funding for our military veterans, I know I'm not wrong when I oppose those decisions.

When I see one political party loosen gun restrictions to allow mentally unstable individuals easier access to guns, and knowing that gun violence is drastically higher here than in other advanced nations, I'm not wrong when I'm against that.

When I see a waste of space like Betsy DeVos nominated to head the Department of Education, and I see her stumble her way through every question at her Senate hearing, I'm not wrong when I say that someone with no experience in public education should not be the head of the Department of Education. I'm also not wrong when I think it's sick that all but two Republican senators voted for her, many of whom received generous campaign donations from her family, instead of voting in the best interest of America's students.

When I see millions of Americans clamor to waste billions of dollars on a border wall when those billions could be put to countless other, more-productive uses, I'm not wrong when I'm against the wall.

When I see scientists and innovators discovering more ways to use renewable energy and begin to save our planet, I'm not wrong when I support their endeavors.

When I see the Supreme Court declare that same-sex marriage is constitutional and the right of all individuals, I'm not wrong when I agree with that.

When I see that on average women are still paid less than men, I'm not wrong when I think that's wrong.

When I see Republican senators not fulfil their constitutional duty by defiantly choosing not to give Barack Obama's Supreme Court pick a hearing as prescribed by the Constitution, I'm not wrong when I think that's utter garbage.

When I see that most of the U.S. and the world are standing against and resisting this new administration, I know I'm not wrong when I resist with them.

There are many more examples I could use, but hopefully my point is clear. A conservative could write a post just like this, making the claim that people like me are wrong, but in this particular case, I'm right, and I know I'm right.

Conclusion: In general, moderates, liberals, and progressives are right and conservatives are wrong on most of the pressing issues of our time. Period. History will show us who was right and who was wrong, but I already know we are on the right side of history. Remember: the conservatives in the 1770s wanted to remain a colony of England; the conservatives of the 1860s wanted to keep slavery; the conservatives of 1920 didn't want women to be allowed to vote. Progressives, time and time again, are the victors. The world and people change, and we must change with it, or be left behind in the dust.

One of us is wrong. Based on the types of people that tend to agree with me, I can conclude that it's not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment