Translate

05 July 2013

Why I Chose To Teach: Part II



I've been told that my posts on this blog are sometimes "intense" and a bit "cynical," and I don't disagree. But I guess I just don't really do "small talk" – I like to talk about real issues, even if they're a little heavy. Who knows, maybe I should work on being a little more light-hearted sometimes. I know that my previous post, Why I Chose To Teach, fits the adjectives I mentioned above, and that it was negative at times. I will say that I do stand behind that post and the reasoning discussed therein, but I wanted to write this short one to highlight the more cheerful reasons I teach. Most of that can be summarized in the note from one of my students I placed above instead of my words.

I didn't fully realize the influence or effect my words and actions could have on young people until this year of teaching. Like the note says, I always tried to help this girl feel empowered and valued. She was shy and sometimes sad – she is African American and didn't feel that she fit in with the prevailing culture of her fellow students, especially other African-American students. I simply encouraged her to be a leader and not a follower, and to work hard because she could achieve the life she wanted if she did. These are not groundbreaking pieces of advice, but powerful nonetheless. She eventually became more confident and proud of herself, even if she was sitting alone in the front of class. She always did her work, asked for help when she needed it, and generally ignored the chaos that sometimes took place in the room (that 6th period she was in was a handful). She was one of the few to earn an A in that class. 

I received many notes from students at the end of the year, which was very touching. Some told me I was a great teacher, or his or her favorite teacher (to which I thought, "Really?"). I'm confident that I was an effective teacher for these students, and that they learned, but it was always reaffirming to hear that I was their favorite or that I did an exceptional job in their minds. One of my students said she liked my class because I was the nicest teacher and the least strict with cell phone use, which, by the way, was not allowed! (It was kind of a losing battle though... oh well). Others, however, did say they liked the challenge my class provided and they appreciated the fact that I wanted to teach them and didn't leave like several teachers before me did. 

The note above, however, was the simplest but the most perfect. I didn't know that my words prevented her from giving up. She had six other teachers who were all kind and supportive I'm sure, but my words were the ones that stuck with her. I'm glad I could make such a difference in her life. So I suppose the point of this post is to say that one of the main reasons I teach is because it's the job that really does make a difference in people's lives. Being a strong, responsible, and trustworthy adult figure in students' lives is extremely important to them, and it's something they crave (sometimes unknowingly). I'm not perfect and I have things I need to work on, so I don't fully see myself as someone who is qualified to give life advice or to guide young people. However, at the same time, I am qualified for such responsibilities, and I know that I can help students in many ways. I know what hard work is, and I know how to push myself to meet challenges, so I can play at least a small part in helping others achieve as well. They help me too. Sometimes the simple advice from a teenager can be really illuminating and a nice break from my over-active mind. 

The other thing that's great about teaching: you never stop learning. You learn a great deal about people, emotions, human psychology, empathy, cultures, and of course, the content you teach. We don't get paid enough, but money isn't what matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment